Monday, June 6, 2011

Vulnerable

Just take a drive, those same roads that were there when I was little the same trees are all still there and sometimes it's as if time has stood still on those roads, and on those roads in that thicket of trees I'm completely safe. I wish everyone had a place like that. A feeling of security of safety, knowing and trusting someone aside from just yourself.
Something I learned this weekend is that not everyone has that safe place, which is understandable most people reach so far in the direction of self preservation that they dive into this to protect themselves. Specifically their heart. I've met some people with a more mild case of this protective reflex Even more intense are the few who transfer these feelings out to be incredibly protective of others, while still being over guarded with your own heart.I have never ever met anyone who channeled this into protecting others just as much as they protect their own heart.
Last night was game 3 of the Maverick's so after some of my friends got off work we all went to eat and get a few drinks, as it would so happen it ended up being only me my other friend and our newest male staff member none of us really know him very well so after a few drinks we all start loosening up and move on to another local bar. Come to find out he has been hurt more than once by people who should hold your complete and utter trust. A former girlfriend who's parents didn't approve, and something with his family that i haven't quite figured out. This sweet sweet boy who repeatedly told me (after reading a txt to one of my boys) that I deserved nothing but the best, I deserve a man who will treat me right and respect me. It was nice to get to have a guy close to my own age be protective of me.
My heart burns for this boy. As we were talking at the end of the evening he was telling us that he would never trust anyone, and would never allow anyone to take care of him ever again. He wants to be the one to take care of others and not have anyone take care of him.
I tell you this story to ask you how you turn this thought around? How can you take that much hurt and break through seemingly invincible walls? I will always admire him because of his sincere independence and his wish to be the most dependable and steady man.
"As to heal the soul the heart must learn to be vulnerable again."
-H.F

No comments:

Post a Comment